Monterey and Carmel One Day Tour from San Francisco
- Adult Ages 12+
- Child Ages 0-11
Explore the city’s historic past, Cannery Row, Old Fisherman’s Wharf and more!
Monterey is a rich and entertaining mix of wildlife, stunning coastal views, and important history. On its streets, you can walk in the steps of figures like Grapes of Wrath author John Steinbeck, who spent years living in and writing about this fascinating area. Read more about this amazing place on our Monterey Guide.
After a pickup from a convenient hotel in San Francisco, you’ll be swept into a Pacific Coast wonderland. You’ll head down California State Route 1 toward Monterey along the picturesque Pacific Ocean coastline. Grab a photo with the Pacific Ocean as your backdrop!
Keep an eye out for the sea otters playing in the waters of the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary. This underwater park stretches hundreds of miles along the coast from San Francisco to Cambria and is home to hundreds of species of marine mammals, birds, and fish.
In Monterey, you’ll have two hours of free time to explore. That’s plenty of time to visit the world-famous Monterey Bay Aquarium. Alternatively, you can take the time to stroll out to Lovers’ Point, check out the many boutiques that line historic Cannery Row, or grab a fresh lunch at Old Fisherman’s Wharf.
Back on your tour vehicle, you’ll be treated to more beauty on the 17-Mile Drive. This scenic road winds its way through the Del Monte Forest between magnificent multi-million dollar homes, spectacular coastline and Pebble Beach golf course. Catch a photo of the hardy Lone Cypress Tree.
After leaving 17-Mile Drive, arrive in charming Carmel-by-the-Sea. Check out the quaint shops on Ocean Avenue or get some white Pacific sand between your toes at the beach. Find out more about Carmel.
Finally, this tour of Monterey and Carmel has almost come to an end; it’s time to head back to San Francisco, exhilarated but knowing it was a day to remember.
- Entry to the 17-Mile Drive
- Pick up at two San Francisco locations
- Local expert guide (English)
What’s Not Included
- Entry to Monterey Bay Aquarium
- Meals or beverages
- Guide gratuity (recommended)
8:00 AM to 11:30 AM
- Scenic Highway 1 drive along California’s Pacific Coastline
- Stops to capture magnificent photos of the rocky beaches
11:30 AM to 1:30 PM
- Walk the boardwalk and explore Cannery Row and Old Fisherman’s Wharf
- Enjoy Monterey Bay Aquarium (entry not included) or walk around historic Monterey
1:30 PM to 4:00 PM
- Cruise California’s coastline on the 17-mile drive
- Photograph the Lone Cypress near the Pebble Beach Golf Links
4:00 PM to 5:15 PM
- Explore, dine, and shop in Carmel-by-the-Sea
- Stroll along the famous white sand beach
5:15 PM to 7:00 PM
- Relax as the sun sets into the Pacific Ocean
- Conclude the tour at your pickup location
Times listed are approximations. Traffic and unforeseen events can cause delays.